Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Delaware Eatery Features "Pretzel Salad"? Chicken Fried Steak to Die For at Georgia House

"Get the pretzel salad," my choir member told me after recommending Georgia House for a good but inexpensive dinner out.

I did have the pretzel salad. Also a huge chicken fried steak while husband had blackened catfish with a zesty cajun bite.

The cost of this meal, with plenty of leftovers for future meals and dog, was as big a surprise as the pretzel salad.


Pic of the Day




Georgia House…Big Meals, Small Prices

Husband I had originally planned to go to the more famous local pub “Irish Eyes” when an annual visit by his mother was being planned.

“Irish Eyes” seemed like the perfect restaurant locale for our cherished annual meal out, especially that restaurant located on the world famous docks of Lewes harbor.

I called to inquire if a reservation would be needed. Seems they had a fire at Irish Eyes, odd in that the whole damn restaurant had burned to the ground a few years ago. This was a restaurant in serious need of plentiful fire extinguishers.

“Georgia House” a member of my choir exclaimed to my query as to a nice restaurant for mother-in-law visit, a restaurant not necessarily part and parcel of Rehoboth’s tourist scene but one with local color and charm.

Georgia House features something called “pretzel salad” and you don’t get much more charming than that.

The summer season was over in this beachside section of Delaware. As such, reservations are not needed at local eateries, even on a Saturday night. Not so at Georgia House, a charming place located roadside smack in the middle of Milford Delaware, nowhere near the Rehoboth Beach scene.

But there was a line for a table at Georgia House at that admittedly prime time Saturday night hour that husband, myself and mother-in-law arriving for a happening local meal.

We only had about a 20 minute wait and Georgia House had several nice areas to wait for a table.

This is no place to seek a romantic candle-lit quiet dinner with a special lover. Georgia House, like its southern name would suggest, is a restaurant featuring cholesterol-laden fried dishes famed as originating in America’s more southern locales.

This fact required that I get, of course, the chicken fried steak with a side order or redskinned mashed potatoes and, of course again, some pretzel salad.



Mother-in-law too got the chicken fried steak while husband got some fried catfish.

The steak was crisp and BIG, very tender, tasty, smothered with the famous cream gravy this dish requires. Georgia House does offer smaller portion entrees and husband said that the next time we eat there (and we WILL go again) he will get the smaller portions.

Yes the portions are big but I’m a believer in wrapping up uneaten restaurant meals to take home for later meal or hey, we have a dog that quite enjoys day-old chicken fried steak.

Mother-in-laws side dishes of green beans and cole slaw were well-prepared. The cole slaw at the Georgia House is very creamy and a bit addictive from the very first bite. The green beans were long, fresh and crisp-tender, seasoned with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and a perfect side dish to make the diner feel righteous as the pretty beans sit along side that great big fried steak.

Husband felt his catfish was spicy and intriguing. I had some of it later in the form of a lunch a few days later from the “doggy” bag and I thought it was delicious. I’m not a big fan of catfish ordinarily but I’d urge anyone to try that entrĂ©e at the Georgia House for a whole new taste sensation. It’s seasoned in a Cajun style and yes, it’s got some zip to it.

Now about this pretzel salad…well I had to order it.

The concoction featured a cream cheese type of base with pretzels spread over this with a layer of jello, of all things, over the top.

Well I just don’t know about this sort of thing with chicken fried steak of Cajun seasoned catfish. Seems to me this is a real nice dessert type of item. However I did eat the entire serving of pretzel salad along with my steak and redskinned mashed taters and, well, it was good. Different, but good.

Georgia House also serves a bangup southern type of sweetened iced tea and the menu was long, varied and intriguing. Rolls are served with the meal, homemade things, warm, yeasty and perfect for the meal’s bread serving.

The prices at Georgia House are as amazing as the pretzel salad. That huge chicken fried steak came in at around $17.00. This includes the big steak, two side orders, those nice warm rolls. Dinner for three cost us around $65.00 that night, which includes tip, drinks but we passed on dessert. I took home plenty of leftovers, enough for two lunches for me later in the week and one treat for the hungry hound.

I consider Georgia House a great find for husband and myself, having been living in the area for over five years now and a bit jaded of the offerings alongside the Route 1 strip.

We’ll definitely be visiting Georgia House again and I understand the restaurant has two other locations, one that serves lunch only right up the street from us!




~~~~~~~~~~

A Brain Infection? A Medical Journey Surpassed by Few

A Medical Odyssey to a Quadruple Heart Bypass

To My Townhall Blog

My Twitter Page, I post all Blog posts there with the link

My Face Book Page

MySpace Page

EMAIL ME



No comments:

Post a Comment